Feb 2 2012 by Les Stewart, Blairgowrie Adv
A WOMAN unleashed a foul-mouth racist rant at a group of Eastern European farm workers after her son smashed into their mini-bus, causing £6000-worth of damage.
Perth Sheriff Court was told Allison Stewart (48) also threatened to “burn their camp down” if she found out where they were staying.
The incident took place in Essendy Road, Blairgowrie, about 4.30pm.
The driver of the mini-bus, Miss Neil, who owns a nearby farm, had seen Mrs Stewart’s son, Andrew Francis Stewart, driving a car at excessive speed – and on the wrong side of the road.
He then smashed into the front offside of her vehicle, seriously damaging both vehicles.
Damage to the minibus was estimated at £6000, stated depute fiscal Carol Whyte.
As Miss Neil helped the uninjured foreign students out of the vehicle, she saw the car driver leave the scene and head towards Blairgowrie.
“At this stage, Allison Stewart started to remonstrate with members of the group. Miss Neil made a number of 999 calls to the police.
“When officers arrived, they heard Mrs Stewart shouting and swearing at the students.”
She told them: “F*** off back to your own country – you’re not welcome here.
“It’s a disgrace that they’re here – you foreign c***s get away with everything.”
The racially aggravated breach of the peace led to Stewart, of Aikenhead, Blairgowrie, being fined £360 after she admitted the racially aggravated breach of the peace which took place on September 1, 2010.
She had a not guilty plea accepted to a further charge of assaulting Polish student Patrick Wajs by grabbing hold of him, ripping his clothing, scratching his neck and punching him on the body, all to his injury.
A not guilty plea to a third charge of having an offensive weapon in her possession – a tyre iron – was also accepted.
Her son, Andrew, also of Aikenhead, Blairgowrie, was fined a total of £450 and banned for a year after admitting amended charges of careless driving and having no insurance for the car.
He had originally been charged with dangerous driving by overtaking on a corner and striking a verge but had the guilty plea accepted to the reduced charge.
Andrew Francis Stewart, and his father, Andrew (48), of the same address, had their not guilty pleas accepted to a charge of pushing people to the ground and committing a breach of the peace.
Solicitor Linda Clark said the accused had been taking the car to a garage to have its roadworthiness checked out, with a view to buying it.
He accepted he should have arranged insurance. He was driving along Essendy Road “quicker than he should have” when he turned a corner and was confronted with the stationary minibus – on his side of the road.
It had apparently reversed out of a nearby field. He braked but wasn’t able to stop in time.
Mrs Clark said she suspected the damage to the minibus would be dealt with by a civil action.
Mr Stewart, a furniture remover, then telephoned his parents and several family members arrived on the scene some 15 minutes later.
When she arrived on the scene about 20 people were “effectively taking up arms” against her son.
She was concerned for him but the lawyer added: “She absolutely accepts there was no reason for her to behave in the manner she did.”
Mrs Clark said that if he was banned from driving he would inevitably lose his job. Imposing the 12-month ban, Sheriff Walter Mercer noted Andrew Stewart had two previous disqualifications – in 2005 and 2006.